19 May 2006

A trip to the island, but no beach time

Went to South Padre Island today, and this time, I wasn't there digging up the beach. Instead, I was there for a networking lunch at a little conference my buddy Mike (King Midas) Persans was hosting on plant membranes. While I had nothing to do with plant membranes, they had one of the program directors from the NSF there. I welcome a chance to hear the sounds directly from any goose that might one day lay a golden egg.

If nothing else, I did confirm that an impression I had was not just a hallucination on my part. The NSF has plenty of programs for undergraduate research, and doctoral research, but ignores Master's students. Since I coordinate a Master's program... well, you can see where my (self-)interest in such things lies.

No comments: