11 September 2008

Storm surges

Seen on Los Fresnos Elementary School sign today: "GO AWAY IKE"

Despite having a ton of marking for classes and service things for HESTEC, I went out to the beach today to collect Lepidopa. I had a bit of a bad moment when I got there, and one of the staff said, "You're not going out onto the beach, are you?"

"Yeah," I said.

"The surf's up to the wall!"

Which it was. The surf and swash was higher than I'd ever seen it, thanks to the disturbrances from hurricane Ike. But I was right: it didn't matter. The animals had moved up the beach with the swash. In fact, it was one of the better collection days I'd had. The sand was so saturated with water than it was very easy to shovel in quickly, and the sand fell apart quickly to reveal any sand crabs.

Unfortunately, I make one mistake. Last time I went out, I forgot sunscreen. This time, I remembered the sunscreen... but forgot a hat. I was dripping sweat like the proverbial pig, and it was one of the main reasons I had to stop when I did -- it was literally getting hard to see.

1 comment:

Stef said...

Next time you go out, I can make the trip with you to assist.