01 June 2010

The painless thesis competition

Almost every grad student experiences a certain amount of pain in pulling together their thesis. But does it have to be that way? Boris Gorelik says no!

Boris writes the blog In the Haystack, and is holding a competition for the best tips to help make writing a thesis painless. Boris asked me to help judge the entries, and I’m pleased to do so.

The rules are easy. Post your advice for painless thesis writing on Twitter with the #painlessthesis tag.

You still have several days left to enter; competition closes at the end of the week (6 June 2010). You can read all about it here.

The winner will receive a copy of Presentation Zen Design; I’ve reviewed this book at the Better Posters blog; Boris reviews it here.

I think I got called on to judge this competition for three reasons. First, I’m our department’s grad program coordinator, so I’m always trying to help students with their theses. Second, the prize is Presentation Zen Design, and well, you know what my name is. Third, I recently co-authored a paper on crustaceans’ lack of nociception, so I guess that makes me an expert on painlessness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Almost every grad student experiences a certain amount of pain in pulling together their thesis. But does it have to be that way? Boris Gorelik says no!


Well, my claim is absolutely opposite. As I say in my first "Painless thesis writing" tip, "There is no such a thing as painless thesis writing". All I say is that it doesn't have to be THAT painful.


Boris